The QR code reader is perhaps the most exciting technology trend to reach the restaurant industry. Putting QR codes to work in a restaurant setting provides five quick benefits that quickly bring about a strong ROI. Additionally, you gain new tools for building a restaurant model that generates a buzz among customers, while giving your staff the necessary technical tools for providing a modern and trendsetting customer service experience.
Faster Service, Better Quality
QR codes introduce multiple new avenues in your pursuit of providing the perfect dining experience. QR codes add new elements of accuracy and precision into the way orders are processed, and removes much of the stress from the shoulders of your staff as a result. In order to accomplish this, the supporting POS technology must first be put into place, and must meet these minimum requirements in order to properly function:
- Cloud-based POS tools
- Support virtual terminals or mobile payment options
- Seamless integration into web-based branded menus
- Provide online invoicing for items such as digital receipts or catering billing
- Support for mobile devices within the restaurant
- Integration into modern kitchen display systems (KDS)
If your POS solution can check all of the above boxes, you are in luck—QR codes are just one step away. But for those of you who may first be in need of a technology reset, there are POS solution providers who can provide all of the above features within one, all-inclusive, solution.
A Fully Customized Dining Experience
Deploying QR codes to dining tables offers customers a chance to customize their experience from start to finish. Here is a look at how the typical QR code-driven experience looks like:
- The customer enters the lobby and scans a QR code to check-in.
- A response screen pops up, directing them to a clearly marked table number.
- Once seated, the customer scans the QR code at the table, pulling up a menu.
- Drinks or water, appetizers, the meal, and dessert, or all the above, can be quickly ordered and brought to the table in a sequence specified by the customer.
- They can opt to receive everything at once, or settle in for a leisurely dining pace.
Expedited Payment Options
The night for the customer above has been a smashing success for your restaurant. Drinks, appetizers, and the meal all came out of the kitchen perfectly prepared in the order specified by the customer. But with the serving of the finishing touches of coffee and dessert comes the next step; presenting the bill. How can QR codes and their supporting POS technology help the customer to customize the bill-paying experience?
- The customer uses their mobile device to scan the same QR code used to place their order.
- This time, instead of a menu, a screen outlining their final bill is displaying, along with several payment options.
- Thanks to your forward-thinking in using a blend of a virtual terminal and web-based invoicing technologies, the customer can choose almost any form of payment type, add a tip, click send, and then receive a digital receipt of their purchase.
Support Takeout Ordering and Delivery
You might be thinking this all sounds great for the dining room, but what about those customers who prefer delivery or takeout options? QR codes will have you covered here as well but in a slightly different way. Instead of scanning a QR code at the table, they will instead access your menu by either going to it directly online, or by using a scannable QR code that is on marketing materials, your social media pages, or on the front lobby area of your restaurant.
The customer makes all of their drink and food selections from a list of items that qualify for takeout or delivery and sends their payment using the same blend of a virtual terminal and online invoicing software. Now, what is different here is the selection of delivery or pickup, and whether or not pickup should be contactless or of the walk-in variety. Either option gives the customer control over their experience, allowing them to focus on the deliciousness that awaits them in the bag or box.
Staff Performance Improvements
The remaining benefits that come along with using QR codes in your restaurant is in the way your staff can now perform their duties.
- Hostesses and servers can now shift their focus on performing a multitude of tasks to instead being fully focused on the customer.
- Servers will be able to manage more tables and help to improve table turnover rates.
- Orders that get sent to the kitchen will rarely if ever come back due to a mistake made on a notepad or a menu item no longer being available.
Kitchen staff will see clearer orders entering their stations, helping your kitchen production improve. Kitchen productivity improves even more when a KDS accompanies your POS software and seamlessly integrates into its data flow. This allows orders from multiple channels to enter and exit the KDS without the staff giving any thought to things that may be missed. And, the enhanced accuracy in filling orders will reflect directly on your reputation, taking your brand to new heights.
A QR Code Reader Elevates Your Business from Top to Bottom
The ability of QR codes to take advantage of consumer smartphone technology and use this to create a dynamic dining experience is a large benefit for restaurants. Staff is freed to perform customer-facing duties, and the high degree of accuracy in everything you do gives your reputation a large boost and can drive your brand into new markets. All you need to take advantage of these benefits in your own restaurant is a POS platform that supports and nurtures a QR code strategy.
The expert consultants that talech can match you with will have a blend of real-world restaurant experience and technical knowledge. This ensures that the POS tools you need to build a business strategy around QR codes are perfectly suited for your environment, and provide a rapid ROI on your investment. Reach out to us today to sign up for a demo and to learn more about how talech can be your valued POS partner.
Want to learn more about QR code reader benefits?
Get your free Demo