Considering the tremendous upheaval small businesses have faced in recent months, it’s easy to see why employee management has fallen off many business owners’ radar. Yet never before has employee management been more important to small businesses.
The benefits of employee management are shown in these statistics compiled by the HR Leadership Council (now Gartner for HR), as reported by Villanova University:
- Managers who coach employees improve worker productivity by up to 25 percent.
- When employee engagement declines, worker productivity decreases by up to 5 percent.
- Effective onboarding of new employees boosts their performance by 11.3 percent.
- Managers with “strong people development skills” are 50 percent more likely to outperform revenue expectations.
The good news for retailers and other small businesses is that the most important employee-management tools are integrated into modern cloud-based point-of-sale software. Here’s a closer look at the key features of employee management software for small business.
Empowering Staff Leads to More Effective Employee Management
Your frontline workers serve as ambassadors for your brand. The better they are at engaging with customers and personalizing the experience for them, the more likely those customers will become regulars and serve as word-of-mouth marketers for the business.
Your POS system offers many features that empower workers to ramp up the quality of service they provide to customers:
- Check inventory in real-time to determine in an instant whether the products customers want are in stock.
- Review customer histories to offer personalized suggestions and product recommendations.
- Make it easy for employees to plan and manage their work schedule by supporting anywhere/anytime schedule access and allowing on-the-fly schedule changes.
Employees also benefit from a POS system that integrates with payroll processing to improve the accuracy of wage payments, tip distributions, and sales commissions. Workers can be alerted automatically when they’re nearing their maximum hours for a pay period, which helps businesses confirm that they are complying with all employee-related regulations.
POS systems also help small businesses track the performance of employees quickly and simply. The systems report role-based metrics of employees as well as sales of specific products by time of day and day of the week, the percentage of error-free orders, and how well each employee performs when paired with other team members.
The Importance of Data Collection and Analysis to Employee Management
Good decision-making is vital for all businesses. The best business decisions are based on relevant, complete, and up-to-date information. POS systems help small businesses gather and analyze the data they need to make fully informed decisions that affect all aspects of employee management.
Cloud-based POS systems ensure that managers have ready access to employee schedules, timesheets, sales reports, accounting records, and other important information. Real-time updates guarantee that the data is as current as possible, which helps managers deal with last-minute schedule changes, employees moving from one role to another within a work shift, and other unpredictable events.
A challenge for many small businesses is managing employee benefits and ensuring that workers clearly understand their benefits package. Benefits are a key to retaining employees and ensuring that workers are fully engaged in their jobs. Making sure benefits information is transparent for workers is a valuable feature of modern POS software with integrated employee management tools.
The customized reporting capabilities of POS systems simplify the process of tracking employees’ progress toward qualifying for benefits in their package. Reports give workers up-to-date information on benefit requirements and HR records via an application running on their phone or tablet, or via a web browser. This keeps employees updated on their eligibility for health benefits and overtime pay, the number of hours they’ve worked in the current pay period, and their year-to-date salary, among other information.
Finding Employee Management Software that Fits Your Style
Small businesses lack the resources to recruit, hire, and train employees that larger companies can expend. Employee management software for small business is designed to close that gap by automating many of these tasks to free up managers’ time for other duties. These are five benefits of POS systems with integrated employment management features:
- Managers can access and adjust employee schedules based on reports indicating the times when demand will be highest and lowest. They can also track employees’ paid time off and absences, and approve shift swaps.
- Time clocks and other attendance trackers can be connected directly to payroll systems to make accounting more accurate. This reduces paycheck corrections while also enhancing tax record-keeping and inventory accounting.
- Cloud-based POS systems allow businesses to pay for only the employee-management services they need via a pay-as-you-go, software-as-a-service (SaaS) model. They have 24/7/365 access to their records via a clear dashboard interface that’s customizable for managers and employees.
- The systems account for the tendency of employees to change roles repeatedly in the course of a single work shift. The hours they work as a supervisor, sales clerk, or cashier can be tracked and recorded easily, with permissions and pay rates adjusted accordingly.
- The sales reports generated by POS systems allow managers to compare the performance of specific employees as well as the labor costs and revenue returns for various times of the day and days of the week. They also help managers determine sales revenue generated by each worker per transaction.
Doing more with less has become a mantra for small businesses as they respond to unpredictable, ever-changing market conditions. Finding a POS system that automates many routine-but-crucial employee-management functions and allows more self-service features for employees is a simple, effective, and affordable way for small businesses to focus on attracting and service customers while ensuring their employees are engaged and thriving.
At talech, we don’t just consider ourselves your POS software provider—we’re also your business partner. We don’t just offer solutions, we help you find the best solutions that will most effectively maximize your company’s growth and success, including employee management software for small business. Reach out to us today to sign up for a demo and find out how we can help you to create the perfect fine dining experience for your customers.