The nail-salon business is noted for intense competition and low margins. That’s why running as efficiently as possible is more important to nail salons than perhaps to most other retailers. Salon owners are discovering that a point of sale system for a nail salon saves them time, effort, and money.
The best way for a nail salon to operate at peak efficiency while nurturing customer relationships is by choosing a POS system that does more than simply meet the store’s needs. It should exceed the business’s expectations and be available at a price that fits the salon’s budget.
How a POS System Addresses Three Nail Salon Pain Points
A point of sale system for a nail salon enhances three key functions that nail salons often find challenging:
- Customer relationship management
- Inventory management
- Appointment scheduling
Return customers are the heart of a nail salon business. Clients often establish long-term relationships with their favorite manicurists and pedicurists. They come to see their nail appointments as an affordable indulgence, like a mini-spa treatment. The last thing a salon owner wants to do is alienate their clientele by detracting unnecessarily from their salon experience.
A POS system for nail salons should give customers control over many aspects of their visit. It must be easy for customers to view the times their favorite salon employees will be available. It should also support a variety of payment methods and keep track of customer appointments and purchase histories so that loyal clients can be offered discounts and other special deals.
Keeping customers happy means ensuring that their favorite products are in stock. A nail salon POS system tracks inventory levels in real-time, including the number of applications remaining in bottles that are currently in use at employees’ workstations. Modern POS software monitors inventory and usage at much higher granularity than tracking only the number of bottles or boxes on hand.
Tips for Improving the Nail Salon Customer Experience
A major draw for nail salons is their ability to make customers feel pampered. This is an attribute nail salons share with spas: when their treatment is complete, clients feel better about themselves and the world. A point of sale system for a nail salon contributes to this sense of wellbeing in three ways:
- Making sure customer check-ins and check-outs are as streamlined as possible by automating discounts, tax calculations, and tipping. For example, a customer-facing display speeds arrivals and departures while presenting customers with special offers on other products and services they may be interested in.
- Ensuring that all customer data is safe by applying end-to-end encryption and authentication that blocks unauthorized access to credit card information, addresses and telephone numbers, and the customer’s service preferences.
- Managing appointments and employee schedules based on client demand and staff availability by setting permissions, tracking work hours, and generating reports on employee performance. A cloud-based POS system allows salon managers to access appointments and schedules from any location, which helps prevent employees from feeling micromanaged.
The automation POS systems make possible improve the salon experience for customers by allowing employees to focus their attention on their clients rather than on the mechanics of managing appointments, processing transactions, and maintaining inventory.
Five Winning Features of POS Systems for Nail Salons
Aesthetics and ambiance help nail salon customers feel relaxed and comfortable during and after their treatments. The sleek design and small footprint of modern POS systems contribute to a nail salon’s soothing atmosphere. Having a range of POS hardware options ensures that salons are able to take full advantage of the best POS software features available. Here’s a closer look at five POS functions that contribute directly to a salon’s bottom line:
- Online appointment booking makes it less likely that customers will miss scheduled appointments because they have 24/7 access to the salon’s appointment schedule. In addition, real-time updates keep employees notified of changes to the schedule, and walk-ins are easier to accommodate because certain times can be marked as unavailable for online booking.
- Smart employee scheduling includes designating work hours for each employee, and adding in-service training, meetings, and other work-related events to the schedules. Online POS systems allow employees and managers to access and update employee records remotely at any time. The systems report on the time employees spend with clients, the tips they receive, and customer feedback.
- Customer relationship management allows salons to track such customer preferences as favorite nail colors and brands, preferred manicurists, and the times and dates of their past appointments. The systems can send automatic reminders of appointments, special offers, and promotions for their birthdays or other events. They also manage customer loyalty programs that can be personalized to each customer’s history.
- Inventory management is more accurate and up-to-date via the POS system’s real-time snapshots of product levels, including those currently in use and those on storeroom shelves. The systems help salons track shipments and let them print barcodes for more accurate item tracking. In addition to alerting managers when product levels drop below a preset threshold, the POS can be set to place reorders automatically.
- Analysis and reporting give nail salon managers insights into the business’s performance, including how much revenue each employee generates, which products are selling best and worst, and the times and days when the shop is busiest and slowest. By storing transaction data in the cloud, reports can be created with complete, up-to-date information while being clear and easy to read.
The benefits of a modern point of sale system for a nail salon go beyond payment methods, appointment scheduling, and inventory tracking. The systems give salons and other small businesses access to the same type of data analytics, employee management, and customer tracking features that large companies have come to rely on.
By automating many aspects of salon management, POS systems allow managers and employees to focus their time and energy on serving their clients. Happy customers are more likely to become the kind of regular clients that are the cornerstone of a successful small business.
When you partner with talech for your retail technology needs, we devote our time to identify your business challenges. We use this information to work with you to apply an innovative POS solution that levels the playing field. Reach out to us today to sign up for a demo and to learn more about how talech can be your valued POS partner.