Are you a business owner using old point of sale hardware or legacy POS system? There are many reasons why this may be the case; maybe you value a low-tech approach to business, or you may have inherited the technology when you took over the business, or maybe you are simply feeling overwhelmed by the many possibilities on the market.
The reality, however, is that whatever the reason, you can only hold out for so long. Eventually, the demands of modern life start making it hard to operate with outdated equipment. Customers expect more connectivity than you can offer, or you realize that returns don’t have to be a hassle or inventory a mystery that continues to complicate your business.
Whatever it is that sparked your interest in modern POS technology, you’re probably feeling somewhat adrift in a sea of complex features and new possibilities. Let’s cut through some of the technical detail and take a look at what cloud-based POS software can offer your business and how you can decide which system is right for you.
What Cloud-Based POS Software Can Do
Cloud technology has inherent advantages that businesses were quick to take advantage of. Some of the innovations it brought to POS include:
- No hardware: You connect to the hardware remotely and your data are stored off-site. This frees up space and relieves you of doing system maintenance and updates.
- Mobility: You can connect to the managerial functions of your POS system anywhere from a range of devices. Your staff can take payments on the restaurant floor, check inventory in the aisles, or assist a customer right at the clothing rack.
- Excellent security: Because you are part of a fully up-to-date technical network, your data, and your customers’ data are protected by some of the best internet security there is.
- Online readiness: Every business today needs a website. The advantage of having online capacity with your POS is the ease with which you can initiate online ordering for retail or restaurants. And, thanks to the cloud, professional services can let customers book their own times and operators online or via app.
- Third-party integration: Use an application programming interface (API) to connect directly to the services you need, like delivery services, your account (or QuickBooks), and payment processors.
Basic Cloud-Based POS Features
A modern POS does much more than serve as a cash register. Other functions of cloud-based POS systems include:
- Employee management: You can set schedules, see employees clock in and out, and see their sales figures from your telephone.
- Inventory management: Track stock and monitor restocking in real-time. Receive notices when inventory is low and automatically generate purchase orders.
- Customer relations management: A cloud-based POS can track past purchase information and loyalty program membership.
- Reporting: Everything that is done inside the system is recorded. All of this data can be compiled and analyzed to show your operation’s business metrics and give you insight into customer tastes and habits, enabling you to make smarter decisions.
A POS System for the Way You Do Business
Within that basic framework, there are innumerable ways to fit the system to your business’s specific practices. A good cloud-based POS will have a plethora of customizable features to give you a high degree of optimization potential. And, those are still not the only ways your POS should meet your business’s needs. You can also consider these:
- Simplicity: Your POS system should be convenient to use. The basics should be learnable in a few minutes.
- Versioning: Categories of businesses—for example, retail, restaurants, and professional services—can have different versions of the same system to increase efficiency.
- Scalability: The system should grow with you.
- Offline functionality: Sooner or later, there’ll be an internet outage. Make sure you’re prepared.
- Affordability: You will save money if your new POS system makes your business more efficient or helps you retain customers. It still has to match your budget though.
- Customer service: 24/7/365 and easily accessible
Putting It All Together
With the large number of functions and the opportunities for customization, cloud-based POS software can change the way you do business and give you an advantage over your competitors. To take full advantage of the possibilities of the new software, it is important to choose the system that you find most useful and user friendly. Demoing systems and assessing customer service as you do so is a good way to start. Implementing a great POS system doesn’t have to be daunting.
Choosing cloud-based POS software is a big step for a business, and one that you will live with for a long time. At talech, we take that commitment seriously. Contact us today for a free demo and see what our POS can do for your business and how we can help you achieve success with it.
Want to learn more about cloud-based POS software?
Get your free Demo