You needed to make a change yesterday. Your POS solution, like many diners, is still reliant on the trusty cash register and credit card reader. While this has served you for years, the wear and tear of equipment, the increase in support costs and service times, have all combined with a forced upgrade of your credit card reader to invoke a change. But are you ready to throw out the old? Are you ready for a diner POS system?
The sooner you ask yourself this question, the better and easier the process will be moving into a new age of POS technology. As you begin the process of self-discovery, it is important to remember that the age of your existing POS solution is directly proportional to the impact a new POS platform will have on your diner. As scary as this may sound, there are a few steps you can follow that will ease the transition.
Innovative POS Solutions Enhance Accounting and Analysis
One of the most important assets that any business today must have is data. It is what drives the understanding of what your customers want, where revenue leakages are occurring and will show you with clarity where processes need improvement. Also, data works to assist in the development of brand improvement strategies by taking away the guesswork and hunches that many diner owners still rely on today.
Many of the POS solutions you can choose from will present you with a variety of data management strategies. Popular ones, such as cloud-based data storage and app-based report generation, are definitely ones that you must consider. This allows you to implement some new twists to existing processes, such as establishing visual menus for staff or customers, mobile order acceptance, and remote inventory monitoring.
Those accounting tasks that previously kept you in your office long after the last customer departed will become a thing of the past. Reconciling end of day transactions, sales tax information, and watching for product leakage can all be done from a mobile app. This frees you to go home at the end of your day and to view with a high degree of accuracy what business was conducted throughout the day.
Streamlined Staff Management Encourages Initiative Taking
Updating your POS solution to the latest and greatest will present you with many impressive staff management options. Automation can be utilized to monitor and report against hours worked versus hours scheduled and processing payroll. Scheduling becomes simpler, especially when the POS platform you select provides a mobile app. This allows you and your staff to easily move shift times around to suit the needs of the restaurant and their personal schedules.
Monitoring staff performance becomes much easier as well. Transaction data will yield fast reports around key performance indicators, such as tables handled during a shift or who is receiving the highest or lowest levels of tipping. Alerts can be established to inform you if a particular staff member may require additional training, or is perhaps due a raise or performance bonus.
This all aids in furthering the development of your staff, from the dishwashing staff to the hostess stand. Demonstrating that you care about helping them to succeed increases staff retention. The advantages of improving staff retention rates mean that you not only have to spend a limited amount of time interviewing potential candidates but assures your frequent customers that their favorite server will be a pillar of your brand.
Enticing Customers With a Revamped Brand Model
Upgrading the foundation of your POS platform can yield drastic results among the most important asset you possess: your customer base. The wide range of features and customer-facing improvements that you can implement will show a stark, yet enticing contrast to your clientele. The new look and feel of your diner’s brand will quickly take flight on its own, elevating your business model to new heights.
While all of the potential features that a next-gen POS solution can offer your diner are too numerous to list, there are a handful that will definitely be key when selecting an impactful POS product.
- Loyalty Rewards. Running a loyalty rewards program can be as simple as handing out paper punch cards. But what happens if these get lost, stolen, or damaged? Tracking this information via an app, as provided by your POS vendor, makes loyalty program management nearly effortless. And, the data you can gather as a result of customer participation is worth its weight in gold.
- Table-side ordering. Integrating a tablet-based POS solution can help increase order accuracy, while reducing service wait times, by using emerging technology around table-side ordering. This allows customers to order and pay without the need to wait for a server to appear. The draw is very strong to those who are in a hurry, for example, your breakfast or lunch rush.
- Mobile ordering. Another great impact that an app-based POS solution can provide is the ability to allow customers to order before they arrive. This opens the door to an even quicker table turnaround during busy times, as well as the potential for brand expansion through the use of food delivery services.
- Streamlined reservations. While reservations and diners are rarely mentioned in the same breath, this offering can quickly improve the positive angle of your brand. Using a modern-POS system will provide you with the means to easily track and maintain reservations from vendor-approved websites and apps.
- Expansion of payment offerings. As consumers continue to be drawn into the world of eWallets and mobile payments, it will not be long before your customers expect you to accept them. An innovative POS solution will provide flexible payment acceptance offerings, and will be scalable to allow you to easily adapt to new, emerging, payment processing tech.
This short list shows just a small portion of a new world that can be opened up and used to deepen existing customer relationships while attracting new ones. While the thought of all of these changes may paralyze you initially, the use of a POS consultant should not be ignored.
Using the Expertise of a POS Consultant to Build your Diner POS System
Making the right choice about the technology you introduce into your diner can either give you vastly improved process efficiencies and revenue gains, or present you with a frustrating black hole of time and money. This is why it is important to get the implementation of a new POS system right in the first attempt.
Using the expertise and skill set of an expert POS consultant will give you an edge over the others. Your consultant will present clarity around what POS solutions will work best in your diner, and will ensure that the features and functionalities are a perfect fit.
Utilizing the expertise that talech brings to your POS project gives you more than just a POS solution provider. We take the time to learn your business so that our recommended solution represents exactly where you are and where you would like to go. Reach out to us today to sign up for a free demo to discover how talech can help shake up your diner.
Want to learn more about diner pos software features?
Get your free Demo